Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Shoes Off Please

shoes off


taking off your shoes when you enter a house is a common practice here in canada. and coming from the philippines, i have to admit that it is something that i am not used to. walking barefooted on bare floors was something that i had to get comfortable with.

prior to coming here, i bought a lot of thick, white socks for us to use. when we got here and realized that we'd be using those socks to walk around the houses we visit, i realized that i should have brought black socks instead.

filipino homes, more often than not, have slippers for their guests to borrow but non-filipino homes would not have those.

so it took awhile for me to get used to it. i have to admit that it is only this year that i got comfortable walking barefooted.

6 comments:

mommyj said...

hahaha funny... btw im planning to apply to canada myself (with my family) and this would not be a discouragement hahaha since i always walk barefooted hehehe....

blanne said...

Hehe. I really find this entry funny. I guess it really is an issue when it comes to living somewhere you are not accustomed of. But it sounds like your are doing well over there. :)

Himalayan Goji Juice
Goji Juice
Pinoy Negosyo Directory
Hit-or-Miss
Cebu Lands and Homes

Matthew Celestine said...

Interesting, because I have heard other Filipinos say removing shoes is their custom. Then again, I have met Filipinos who do not remove his shoes in his home.

I am guessing, based on information I have seen, that in some parts of the Phillipines, people always take their shoes off, but in other parts, people keep them on?

Anyway, I have an whole blog about removing shoes in homes: Shoes Off at the Door, Please You might like to take a look.

entrenador personal said...

thanks Your Blog is Good.See you

Jim said...

This totally reminds me of when I went to Japan for the first time. We were staying in a rural area and the lady of the house was really surprised that I didn't know the custom. You were supposed to put your shoes behind the door in a certain way, everything is very orderly there. But I didn't speak Japanese, and she didn't speak English, so it was quite difficult just to explain a simple thing. There was a lot of pantomime it was pretty funny.

Fussed Blogger said...

Yea!
It is a tradition even in our country. We used to remove our shoes while entering a house.

 
Powered by Blogger