Monday, April 21, 2008

A Lock-less Society

yesterday, my kids were playing ball in the backyard.

my son accidentally threw it a bit too much that it accidentally crossed over the fence into our neighbor's yard. so he went over and rang their doorbell to get his ball back.

when he came back with his ball, he told me that our neighbor said that, "whenever you need to get something in our yard, feel free to enter. the gate is not locked."

i grew up in a society full of locks. doors have locks. cabinets have locks. drawers have locks. gates have locks. almost anything that can be opened can be locked.

when i was in the philippines, i had to use 3 keys just to get into our house. one for the gate and two for the front door. aside from that, i also had keys to my bedroom, my cabinets and my drawers. you can imagine how heavy my keychain can get.

when we got here, it was totally different. aside from the front door and the washrooms, no other locks can be seen inside the house. there are no locks on the bedroom door. no locks on the cabinets. and no locks on drawers. it's a lock-less society.

thank god their washrooms have locks!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reciprocal link of my Blog Directory.

God bless,
Jeffrey

Ms. Confuse said...

i did put u on my blog roll.. hope we can be good frends too.. not only here at blogging world. i have another blog.. it mostly about myself.. http://pinayamerican.blogspot.com ... if u have ym we can chat sometimes.

Anonymous said...

hi,

thanks for dropping by my blog kabayan. hope to see you around more often sa blog2learn. :-)

Anonymous said...

wow. your neighbors are kind. and they don't have gates or locks. wow.

Filipino in Canada said...

hi jeffrey, no problem! thanks for dropping by :)

Filipino in Canada said...

hi billyboxergirl! i've added you up already. thanks for the visit.

Filipino in Canada said...

hi jessie, thanks for dropping by. see you around!

Filipino in Canada said...

hi gel! thanks for dropping by. yeah, everyone seems to be kind over here. they do have gates. its not just locked. :)

Anonymous said...

pa OT po..
ps: care to link exchange with my new site? posted up an article on my blog. read it there po..!

Sarah Reich Tap Dancing said...

It makes me think they are full of trust

free online magazine articles said...

Thank you so much for giving me opportunity to learn this.

learn to tap dance online said...

Thanks for letting us know about this. Keep on sharing in your free time please.

Anonymous said...

Hello, I just stumbled onto your blog. I was born in the Philippines and my family left for Canada when I was six and I am now 45. It's great to read your blog but I read it with a different interest, and that's to understand my Filipino heritage. I grew up in the Canadian culture and find it quite interesting how you see us Canadians! BTW, reading this post finally explains my parent's propensity for locking the front door! I have grown up trusting our neighbours and friends and don't see any reason for locking them. Do Filipinos lock their doors as a habit because of the high crime in the Philippines? Very informative blog! Thanks.

 
Powered by Blogger